Tuesday 5 July 2005

They need to learn German here!!

Honestly! I was just in the library, wanting to know (a) how many books I could take out, and (b) how many I already have, whether I could get one more (have to return a whole heap, but forgot them today!). Went and asked the lady in good, corret german (I'm pretty sure it was correct, alhtough my 'take out' mayhave been a little wonky, but i gave her options there to choose from!) Eventually we worked out that I may take as many as I can carry, but not how many I have (which was kinda irrelevant by then, but anyway!)... I went and found a book (Jane Eyre, been wanting to read it for ages) and took it out. Here you don't get the little bits of paper unless you ask for them, so the lady just did the 'she's non-native speaker' thing and said very loudly and slowly when it's due back... Was kinda funny, but still, really, they need to learn german!! Nah, I think it wsa partly my own fault too - I think she told me I could fill my bag type of thing, which I misunderstood... but anyway! Over that now, onto my list of stuff I have to report about!

Found some very funny things on tv recently. First there was Silent Witness (unfortunatly the series I've seen about a gazillion times, so I can remember who dunnit just from the ads, why and how...) then the Midsomer Murders, sunday nights at about 10:30, but I do get them on y tv in my room (also discovered I can get about 3 other stations there, by twiddling some thingys!) so maybe when insomnia sets in... The funniest thing I have so far seen thoguh has got to be McLeod's Daughters, in Italian. Was channel surfning, came across the Italian channel, said to Bibi, hey, I've seen this, she asked me how I could have seen an Italian tv show, true, said I, maybe it's just the actress.... Onto the next channel. Next day, found it again, really was trying to work it out, then came one of those millions of paddocky horsey people in Akubra shots, and I literally yelled with surprise at seeing McLeod's Daughters, dubbed into Italian... Scary thing was that from watching it about 3 times in my entire life, I could say who died, who got cancer, who got married etc etc!!

The funniest Austrian show here is one called 'Echt Fett' which is very much like many Aussie shows (or bits of) where the people go out and make fools of themselves in public (or make the public look like fools!)... SOOOOO incredibly funny, a lot is visual! One example, man walking through lots of different settings (just a shot from each scene between other skits) wearing jockeys clothes calling 'Beauty... Beauty'. Or the man with a man dressed as a chicken who asks a random lady to look after his chicken for a short time. She just zhas to stand there and hold his hand, then the owner comes back, takes the chicken and they walk off. Or the three moutaineers going up the escalator... And so on... i'm going to see if I can find a vidoe of it to bring back, or I might be able to tape it off tv.... Just spent my mornng watching it. Was suppsed to be going to a bbq at the 'beach' (lake), but the weather is icky, so we were going to have it at school, but then the grills didn't work, so we just watched echt fett and the simpsons (in english - taped by the english teacher in america I think!) (Teeeeeheeeee! Bart and Milhouse go to a Spinal Tap concert... Didn't get to see the end, but stzill made me want to watch Spinal Tap!)

We went to Isabelles new house last week. She's another daughter in the family, married with 2 kids, who are building a new house. Ws funny, had all thewalls and everything, but no doors or windows, we ate sandwiches off a plank for lunch... The weather returning home however was crazy. The kind of driving rain you can't see 4 metres ahead in... People were driving with their hazard lights on, but we were going very slowly.... onyl 70km/hour.... ! Was strange, very patchy, parts of the road were completely dry, but then you'd hit one of these patches....

Saw a hilarious ad on some 'best ads' tv show, for a new car. Man walking his white scotty dog (or seomthing like that), gets to his new car, sees a spot of dirt on the bonnet... Looks at it for a moment, looks at the dog.... Picks up the dog, cleans spot with god, chucks dog (fairly gently) into car (who then escapes out the window at the other side)... Slogan: Man's new best friend. Maybe you have to see it, but i couldn't stop laughing for quite some time... They've also got some strange anti-smoking ads here, but a bit hard to explain, so I won't... Basically people secretly blowing party hooters in the loos, hiding them when the teacher comes, or another is a man 'smoking' his tooter at various times of the day, then throwing out the packet, then sitting by the bin smoking from that packet.... It's all about looking silly and folling the pack an stuff... I have no idea how effective they'll be, but it's a start!

I'm getting rather worried about two new fashions that have hit Austria (hopefully not, and never, in Tassie!)... Girls wearing singlet tops. with the back of their bra way above it... I don't understand that, or the other, which worries me whenever I see 10 year olds follwing it... platform shoes are coming back.... In about 30 years, there are going to be lots of 40 somethings wiht massive hip problems.....

Sorry about all the typos today, don't have enough time to fixy them, and i really can't type at all today!

In English, over the holidays (they get homework over the summer holidays... how mean is that!) we have to read Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) (nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!) and The Loser Takes All (Graham Greene)... Alright for me, but since the English teacher has set them without reading them, i'm a little worried!! Anyway... What can I do! Just read two Jane Austen books by the way (what' going on, you ask, she's reading classic chick lit... Austen, Bronte...) Northanger Abbey (her first written book) which was alright, but made me really want to read Pride and Prejudice, which I did... It's so close to the tv series! COuld hear all the characters saying their lines and everything!! Very good read though!! Also read About a Boy, that's also very close to the movie (or should I say, the movie is very close to the book...)... Bought two books in German last week... One, Terry Pratchett, the fifth elephant (it was €3) and the other Tatsächlich... Liebe (Love Actually, also only €3)... Teehee!

Went to a horsey do on Sunday (mum's birthday, say happy birthday if you see her!) where Bib was riding. Won't explain it all, but was long, but in the sun (burn to prove that, although mine's lovely brown now... farmer's tan...) with a good book (P and P) so it was fine! Walked home afterwards, past the Reformed Church, and discovered they have a morning and evening service on sundays, but wasn't sure if the evening is a normal service (had a srange title!) so will ring up sometime this week (although where I'll find the phone number, don't ask me... Phone book... Pah, confusing as anything!) so hopefully!!!! Pray there please, is kinda scary to go by myself to a completely different church in a foreign country, not knowing anyone, in a foreign language... Is also very easy to make excuses....

Ok, have another quiz, will stick it on here sometime soon.... not quite finished...! Have to go now though, my times going to be up soon, and I have lots of things to do!

Here's a quote I found recently that I thought was good:
Jesus never called us to a fair fight. (George Otis, Jr)

Anyway, I like emails, they're fun to get.. and I like comments just as much (especially from people I didn't know read my blog! Hi Stelle! Not that the others aren't good... I'll stop now hey...!)

5 comments:

  1. LOL YOU AR A BOOK WORM LOL LOVE IT!!! Well I just replyed to mail form Imo K and i am sitting at an poffice desk wishing i was away in the world doing fantstic and exciting things instead of sititng hear thinking i have crumbs form my sandwhich all over my face and thus constantly wiping my face LOL I AM GOING MADDDDD

    LOL there is a german version of the nanny on SBS LOL its great!!! Weird as but yeah loving it!!!

    LOL fashion here in Tas Is bad and kinda getting slightly better but will always be bad...i don't get the singlet top bra thing though...oh well best not to follow fashion and buy what ever lol like pink shoes...I wnat pibnk shoes!!!!!!!! LOL

    Well what else is there?/ last week of holidays and then i am off back the the litteral hole of Launceston...lol it is a hole!!!! There is a littl eenve;lope on the screen...ooo interesting...

    Hmm well best be off have fun watching crazt t.v shows and what not lOL

    Love KAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey buddy!

    yeah check out that reformed church it should be fun! and that quote was quite the fun thing!
    haha well this saturday is 'women's role in church' seminar thing at beewaa. quite cool and i reckon it'll be FASCINATING!
    youth group is going tops i'm planning this weeks which is going to involve a lot of fun and christmas things (its christmas in july for the junior school kiddies!) yay and exams are in 3 WEEKS im stressing! (or not) haha i have a driving test sometime in the next 7 weeks as well so please pray for that! ha i want to PASS and drive to austria to see u!
    ok i'm off now. should really pay a bit of attention to chemistry....
    tralala
    luv kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. yo imooo

    hehe i am so stoked right now to hear that the coolness of mcclouds daughters can be experienced world wide!

    Now while that is probably the highlight of your week (mcclouds daughters is the highlight of my week even when im at home!) you will be happy to know that i have FINALLY gotten around to getting your letter in order. there were a lot of probs with the cd, so in the end i just chucked in one of my compilations from the summer (does that sound cheap? maybe but the burner just kept crashing so i figured itd be better then nothing)
    so mm expect that in the next month or so.... (yeh i know ive been saying that already for a month or so but!)

    hum hum!!! Ok well i will be off now... i feel like a magnum mmm!

    xxxxxxxx katie.m!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haven't you worked out the reason is that I used to give you the blow by blow account of Mcleods Daughters of a Thursday Lunchtime?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Immmoo,

    Austraia sounds tops... pity about the absence of quality TV... but any tv is better than studying for exams (well actually i havent started but it is on the to do list!)

    Not much is happenning in the land down under (i mean we couldnt do anythgin without wonderful imo!!)

    enjoy the church (and i will be checking up on u to see whther u go! now there is a threat!)
    well keep being imo and stay shiney!!!

    love u always and always
    <><
    Liz

    ReplyDelete