Tuesday 14 June 2005

What do Songs of Praise and The Sound of Music have in common?

Answer: I have NO idea, except that they were both mentioned in the same breath at a concert i went to on SUnday. It was a boys church choir, so that may have something to do with Songs of Praise, and it's (apparently) the 40th year anniversary of Sound of Music, or so I'm told (I'll find out when I'm in Salzburg I think) even though they genenrally hate the movie here... Why in the same breath beats me... It was then followed by a short scene from the Barber of Seville... I don't like to ask about the ways Austrians think sometimes! The concert however was nice (not really my taste in music, discovered i like loud classical music, with lots of loud instruments, not any of this timid, 'what if the audience has their hearing aids turned up too loud' business...) but it was quite nicely sung (although my bum was LITERALLY numb by the end, they just don't know how to make good chairs here or something!). The building however was beuatiful... It was a something-or-other, with lots of paintings of important people and stuff... Will go back soon hopefully and tour it, and then give you photos!

For some reason (once again the strange thinking capactities of the Austrians astounds me) we're watchign A Clockwork Orange in German. It's interesting, except that the dialogue has disappeared from both dvd players, so we were watching wiht just the music and people mouthing words (it's as though they turned off the english to dub it, and forgot to turn the german back on) so i really have NO idea what's going on... Hopefully we'll get to see the whole thing with words sometime... Won't be able to watch Singin' in the Rain again for a while without thinking of it though (man breaking into house, bashing up man, raping woman while singing... leaves an impression)... Despite the violence and stuff, it is actually a 'good' film, and has all those aspects that make me see why it fits so nicely into the 'you just HAVE to see it' category...

Watching Forrest Gump in English... Ahhh, first English film in 4 months... Ahhh... Bliss (going to Hitchikers Guide sometiems soon, in English with German subtitles...!!!)

Photo thing may be resolved sometime soon, this computer does have a usb port, and a cd drive, so I'll hopefully be able to do something with them! They're both cunningly disguised as a usb port and cd drive though... (was someone relevants birthday on Sunday or Saturday, from Blackadder I think, but cannot remember their name, and the newspaper is too far away... Speaking of newspapers, the Tassie devils got into the New York Times segment that is in the Standard every monday! Colour photos and everything!!)

Ok, going now!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, despite the violence (most of which takes place in the first half-hour), A Clockwork Orange is a classic Kubrick. Note for film buffs - one of the gang is played by a very young Warren Clarke, who went on to fame as the cantankerous Inspector Andy Dalziel in the tv crime series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in the Neuhofen/Krems webpage info that the older members of the Vienna Boys Choir are based there. What do you know about them? The current Boys' Choir is touring Australia in July. Like you comment about loud classical music - agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Imo jow ya doing?? I am at work and thought i would say a HELLO to ya. Well whats gogin on
    ?? nothing really bar the fact I have a new blog cause my other one died on me...well i forgot my account stuff. hehehehehehehe so yeah anyway. Tassie is cold, boring much less exciting then Austria by the sounds of it anyway! What else is their...I am going to see Lior a band tonight so yeah only exciting thing. Am on holidays now finished 1st semester of UNI YAY hooray JUMP for JOY lol. It all good.

    Hmm what else is their I dunno. LIfe is just peachy I guess. LOL tiz dandy.

    Hmm anyway i thought i would say hello and m\now i must be off.
    So you keep cool and i shall blog again...iguess...LOL

    Love KAt

    ReplyDelete