Thursday 29 September 2005

I was invited to donate blood here!

Teehee! I got a letter from the Gemeinde (local council I guess would be the best translation) telling me all about a blood drive that was on last week, and how they'd love me to donate blood... Of course I don'T really want to leave traceable evidence of me ever being here, so I declined, but it was exciting! Actually, no I do want to donate blood, but would prefer to do it in Australia, as well as it said 'can'T have had contact with hepatitis in the last 12 months' and i was given my latest hep something shot in january, so I thought that might count against me... I feel special!

Well, I rang erica for her birthday, just after writing my last blog, and remembered lots of things I wanted to write here, but have forgotten them again (my memory has gone down hill since I've been cramming it so full of german!)...

So, currently sick, with a mild cold (although they all think I'm going to die or something here, because my nose is doing it's usual niagara falls thing) but have discovered asprin does a ver nice nose drying job, which meas I don't have to venture into the scary world of the apotheke for drugs...!! Did you know that here they don't sell ANY drugs in the supermarket or anywhere! Not ever asprin or anything, have to go for EVERYTHING to the Apotheke! Anyway, back to my cold. They have a really funny attitude to getting cold here, refuse to go outside even in summer just after hair washing in case they get cold (I've been forced to promise I won'T ever go outside again with wet hair - they think that me being outside for about 15 seconds on saturday with damp hair when it was about 12°C is responsible, I know it'S just the cold I expected to get from being back at school! Apparently the 12°C here is different to the 12° in Australia) Then last night when I said I had to wash my hair beofre I went to bed (I refuse to hair dryer my hair!) I was told I shouln't, just in case my head got a little cold from it... Argh! Never had a problem before, and i've been washing my hair in the morning before school in winter before waiting for the bus in almost frozen conditions for years! But just for the peace, I comply! What was funny that I then read in the paper this morning a quote from some Austrian kayaker at some competition in Sydney saying how she 'couldn't understand Australians because tehy wear shorts even when it's only 10°C or less'... I thought that was nicely ironic (maybe nt ironic, I've never been quite sure of what is and isn't irony, but you get the idea!)

Going to the movies on Saturday night, with Dina, who's parents own a restaurant at the cinema, so hopefully nicely priced tickets for us! Everyone else is going to a concert, but i'm not that keen, partly because it'll be so smoky and horrible for my niagara falls nose, partly because I don't really like the style of music (it's a group of bands, with guys from our class) and a few other reasons... Dina didn't want to go at all, so I said, hey, lets go do something different then! Dunno what we'll see, I'd like to see a film Die Weisse Massai (no idea what it's called in English, The White Massai?) about a white lady who goes to Africa, falls in love with an African warrior or something but then lots of issues etc etc... Is from a true story, and actually looks very intersting, was at the Toronto Film Festival, and I think a few others... Click here and read all about it!

WEll I think that's all snotty little me can remember for you at the moment... Must go, Dawson's Creek is about to start....!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that an aspirin is the same size as a nostril? That's how it works!

    ReplyDelete