Wednesday 19 October 2005

And the New James Bond is.....

While in Australia, the slightly ‘more individual’ people carry beer cans, here they carry Red Bull. It seems to be the drink of the moment (was actually invented here, I’ve seen the house of the inventor, who is now stinking rich), and can always be seen carried by the people who’ve just had a Friday or Saturday all nighter in Altstadt. Maybe it’s like a status symbol or something, but kinda strange to watch all these punk-tartan-pant-wearing-mowhawked-young-people swigging from their Red Bull…

I think I have a Swiss German accent. Three times now I’ve been asked if I come from Switzerland by the people doing surveys on the streets. Conversation usually (thought I’d write in dialect, just for the novelty factor! Isn’t strictly correct dialect, but the best I can do!):
Them: Hallo, kon i bitte füe an koz moment dein Attention hob’n…? (hi, can I have your attention for a moment)
Me: Tu’ mia layd, i kom (or wir kom’n, when I’m with other people) nit aus Österreich. (Sorry, I/we don’t come from Austria)
Them: Oh, da Schweiz? (Oh, Switzerland)
Me: Nah, Australien… (no, Australia)
This then either turns into a discussion about the Australian girlfriend their brother has, why I am here and whether I like it, or simply, enjoy your stay have a nice day bye bye… Works nicely! But I’m intiguied about the accent thing… Not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing, they do think of a German speaking country at least, but that could just be because they don’t immediately think of German being a second language… I just nod smile an correct and run….!!

Freaky when I got up this morning… My bedroom was lit by moonlight… I have two sets of curtains in my room, the thin, lacy curtain ones and the thicker block out the light ones. I only use the first, usually, and on Sunday morning I was woken up because I turned over and the moon was shining right in my eyes. I thought this was at about 3am, but when this morning I woke up at 6:10am and the moon was beaming happily into my room, I revised my opinion… Walked to the train, 40 minutes later (yep, I still do my up in half an hour, including lunch making thing here!), by moonlight… Weird! I think the time goes to the hour earlier one soon though…

Police here have such militaristic uniforms! They have their trousers tucked into socks and boots, everything very green and ready for commando crawls looking! I’m worried about the trousers into socks fashion, is starting to set it… Hopefully just lots of people forgotten to untuck after bike riding….

Hey, best news! I’m going to be an Aunty again (don’t know if you already knew that or not, but there you go!) and of TWINS!!!! Oh lala! Identical twins! My mother tells me it’s one of those completely random and freaky non-genetic, one in three gazillion types of things…How exciting! I always wanted a twin sibling, but twin niece/nephews (not known) is almost as good! So HOORAY MICHAELA AND JIM!!!! Oh and I think they’re due in March, but I could be mistaken, maybe it’s earlier…. But I reckon prayer there, that everything goes well and healthily would be fantastic! Mum sent me a pic of the ultrasounds (20 weeks, you do the maths for due date!) and there are obviously two heads in one (my first thgout there was just Tassie genetics, but hey Michaela is first generation…!!! Sorry…! Had to say it….!) and a hand in another, but everything looks kinda blobby otherwise (I know Michaela, I’m talking about your insides here, but it’S true… Must be some special maternal degree to be abel to recognise things in ultrasounds!) Still VERY exciting, and amazing! Btw, CONGRATULATIONS Rosie and Keith on little Amelie! (Amelia? Sorry…!) Hooray!

Caleb, good luck with the house moving... The end of a era... No more bus rides, lift stinge-ing (maybe I'll actually have to get my licence now!) etc etc...

Hey, the biggest train museum i nthe world (or at least Germany) burnt down last night, I saw some footage on the tv. It was so.. surreal.. to see this burning building, and the outlines of trains through the flames... Peculiar, not sure why, but was a very strange thing to see. It was in Nürnberg, btw!

Hmm, new quiz for you, I hope it’s new, I wrote it so long ago that I can’t remember if I’ve already given it to you!! But will check…!

No comments:

Post a Comment