Tuesday 8 November 2005

i've remembered the lost memories....

... and I have a paper cut under my fingernail, making it a little hard to type with my right hand, because it really hurts....

I eventually deciphered my writings on my hand, and since my class has a maths schularbeit now, and I had to go on (in?) the internet now anyway, I thought i#d share!

There is a phenomenon i've noticed among fluent English speakers here (well, three people now), and that is using the word 'dear'. They often especially say 'danke dear'... Weird.... Sounds very funny, I think!

I don't know if I've shared my coffee thoughts before, but I don't think I have! I must say, I'm very disappointed in coffee, was hoping that maybe i'd learn to drink it here, and although i've tried, I just can't get over that disappointment! It smells so thick and substancial, but feels so thin, just like hot water with scent added... I don't know, maybe I've tried the wrong sorts, but the only way I like coffee is with drinking chocolate and milk, because then the thick smell matches the way it feels in the mouth. I already knew it wasn't as good to drink as to smell, but still.... I had hopes... Mum and dad however have bought a coffee machine, or espresso machine, or something, so maybe i#ll find a way that is good (I like the idea of coffee!)...

For the second year in a row, my birthday is the day of celebrations for someone else... Last year it was Chloe's 18th party, this year it's the party (well, family gathering, go out for dinner) for my host mother. I don'T mind, I know they won't forget about me, but it makes it hard to go out, like Simone and I were planning (her birthday is the day before mine).... I know how erica feels now, with the afl final always on her weekend!!! The next weekend is my last, an we're going to Vienna for the saturday, so the Friday night couldn't be too late... Maybe we'll do it next week instead... Anyway, is going to be strange having a birthday here... BTW, anyone thinking of sending me pressies, I have a request. Send only if:

  1. I can leave it here (ie, edible etc...)
  2. It's small and lightweight, maybe even squashy (I have to fit it into my suitcase remember!)
  3. It really cannot wait 2 weeks until I get back...
  4. It's money (actually, then just give it to my parents and they'll stick it in my account!!)

Weekend was fun, Edith, Bibi's half sister came over for the weekend. She's got heaps of really funny stories, is a flight attendant with Lufthansa (and therefore speaks German, English, French and Spanish, and maybe other things too). Umm.... Yeah, lots of stories about tricky customers and stuff, but was a good weekend!!

Anyway, i'm not here just to chat, this is just the continuation of the post below!

6 comments:

  1. Could that be 'Danke Dir'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shot down!

    Katherine had her German oral yesterday. Guess who was one of the examiners?! Frau Bye! And it went well (lucky her - I shudder when I think of my German Oral Exam!).

    B'day prez in the mail 2day! Enjoy! No opening it early though!

    Luv Clerical Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I use way too many !!!!!!! Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heloooo imoooo

    happe berthdea

    i will not send your present in the mail on account of it not fitting the 20kg weight limit

    so you will just have to wait til you get home

    haha
    luvkatiexx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica, oral German exams... massive shudder of horror at the thought of what I (probably) said... Well done Kath though! Yes, too many !!!!!!!!!!!!

    Kate, is it a car?

    Mum, could be, but i've only heard it from people who speak and use english a fair bit - the guy in the internet cafe (now officially closed... not enough people), the guy in the only cafe that does take away mowcha, and the flight attendent half sister of Bibi...

    Ohh, birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. birthdy prezzets!? rubbubbbubbish

    im doing fart oo much thinking about physiscs to think about silly stuff like that!
    barghhh i just wrote fart in that other sentence! haaaaaaaaa

    ok dahlink, i'll be off like a rocket now, study hard (oh no wait that's me) and i'll see you when u get back (i can't wait to taste ur mum's yummy icecream again! oh the bliss...)

    and here's a fun thing i will now teach you

    light jumps about in all orientations, but a polariser is a type of filter that only allows light in 1 direction to flow. you CAN'T polarise sound however! i pondered this one cos if u could that would be really weird (you could wear earmuffs and then if u turned ur head one way u'd miss all the sound! u could choose what to listen to! i'd never have to listen to certain teachers again....), but it turns out that light is a transverse wave (particles ozcillate up and down) whereas sound is longtitudinal. wowsers.

    anyway i thought that was cool.
    man i need holidays.
    i know. this sounds too nerdy i won't sign my name and then u wont kno who the nerd is! super master i am!
    HA!
    from anonymous.

    ReplyDelete