Wednesday 18 May 2005

The kindness of strangers...

... Was happily in Amadeus copying out my homework from a textbook today, when those random aussie attracts to aussie powers went into action! I have homework for Deutsch als Fremdsprache, was meant to copy it off someone else from the class, but by the time the teacher had told me this, everyone had disappearesd, and I had no idea where to find them.... Decided that in an attempt to get it, i would jsut go into Amadeus and copy the questions out! Had to buy one text book, didn't really want to have to buy another that I didn't really need! Anyway, was telling this to Bibi, whow was my co-conspirator, ready to copy down the information I gave her, was talking in English, when the employee stacking shelves, giving us suspicious looks suddenly asked if he could help, in English, with a distinct Aussie accent. My first thought was, hey, he's got really good English, no accent (well do you expect to meet a fellow aussie working in a foreign speaking bookshop?)! I replied no, was just copying out my homework, and he replied, 'you are Australian, aren't you?' Of course the following conversation was a where are you from one (Newcastle, with an Aunt/Granny, from Kingston, but Snug before that, anyone know her?)... He came and went three times, obviously trying to work out if we were allowed to do that, making small talk, then offerering to give me his old copies of the text book... Random, and slightly weird, I said 'no thanks, I think this is a one off, but thanks anyway' typüe of thing. Still, there you go, now I know where another Aussie can be found in Linz... I always look out for visitors, and listen to see if they're speakin English... The accenct sounds so strong after a long time of not hearing it, on a stranger, though!!

Went to a zoo today, was lots of fun, and spoke to the wallabies and emus... Yep! i'll stick the phtos up in a minute!

Please pray for me as I go through a tricky patch with my family. I'm thinking I'd maybe like to change host fmilies, have talked to Magdalena, and we're going to talk to the family next week sometime. Variety of reasons, can't really be bothered going into them, but could be a little awkward for a while...

ok, the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment